BOMB Magazine is an independent nonprofit quarterly publication and online web platform producing daily content. Its mission is to deliver the artist's voice by publishing conversations with and between painters, novelists, poets, musicians, filmmakers, and actors. BOMB also publishes original works of fiction and poetry, excerpts of novels, and first-time translations into English. BOMB hosts an annual literary contest, alternating between fiction and poetry each year, with guest judges who are distinguished writers in their fields. Visit BOMBmagazine.org for more info about new initiatives and opportunities.
Founded in 1981, BOMB has championed and encouraged the literary efforts of both established and emerging writers for more than a quarter century.
This year, our poetry contest returns with special guest judge Bhanu Kapil. She is a British-Indian emigrant to the United States and the author of five full-length works of poetry/prose: The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers (2001), Incubation: a space for monsters (2006), humanimal [a project for future children] (2009), Schizophrene (2011), and Ban en Banlieue (2015).
- Winner receives $1,000 and publication in BOMB Magazine.
- Submission period: March 31-May 15, 2016.
- Reading fee: $20. Includes a free one-year subscription to BOMB to all US entrants.
- No more than 5 poems and no more than 10 pages per entry fee.
- Include a cover letter with name, address, email, phone number, and title of poems. Do not write a name on the actual manuscript as all entries will be considered anonymously.
- Non-anonymous manuscripts will be immediately disqualified.
- Simultaneous submissions permitted, but fee is not transferable.
- Poems must be previously unpublished.
- Poems must be uploaded via Submittable.
- Email email@example.com with any questions.
- The winner will be announced on July 31, 2016.